Thursday, February 18, 2016

The GM Challenge


“I challenge my fellow blogging Gamemasters to fess up, and tell us the five games you are great at running, three that you're not so hot with, five reasons why you consider yourself a good GM (or feel you are viewed as such by others), and three things you feel you need work on.”

What 5 games / genres do you GM best?

Horror (gothic / Lovecraftian / survival)
High Fantasy (“Classic” D&D, Pathfinder, lovable misfits who save the world)
Low Fantasy (sandbox Sword & Sorcery stuff full of murder-hobos and political intrigue)
Military Sci-Fi (I have an extensive homebrew setting for this kinda thing)
d20 anything (I’ve played enough now that I just intuitively grok the mechanics)

What 3 games are your worst? That is, if your group wants to play one of these, you would probably recommend a different GM?

Superheroes (I enjoy superhero movies, but I haven’t collected superhero comics since 1996 and I know I wouldn’t do it justice)
Oriental Fantasy (only because I lack proper knowledge of customs / history / language / traditions that are important to getting the setting correct)
Anime / Mecha (I enjoy watching anime occasionally, but I doubt I’d enjoy an anime RPG. Lack of interest mainly, and it’s so visual, I can’t imagine getting the feel of the game right without a ton of visual aids and extensive prep and …ugh, I'm burnt out just thinking about it.)

What 5 elements of GMing do you do best?

World building
Making the game fun
Between session bookkeeping
Descriptions full of relevant, interesting details
Pacing

What elements of GMing are still a work in progress?

Mysteries (I often make them too complex, too simple, or entirely tangential.)
Splitting the party (I give my full attention to the people who are engaged, and leave the unengaged folks to do whatever.)
Time management (Odd, ‘cause I know I have good pacing, but sessions never end where I think they’re going to end.)

So yeah. Kinda fun. Basking in my own radiant goodness helps take the sting out of an honest look at my flaws, and it's nice to set a benchmark for self-improvement.

A post without art doesn't feel right to me. So here's this neat environment by Frank Att.

No comments:

Post a Comment